To begin the project Hazzell asked us to collect magazines we found visually appealing and break them down as to why the covers worked, or failed in some cases.
I am a total geek so I went for the more techy magazines such as PCFORMAT, EDGE, and T2. Dissecting the layouts, the genral approuch for this type of magazine was a very clean and clear form of presentation. The text lay on exclusively white backgrounds and the images inside (in the spreads) always appeared in there own window with limited annotation.
The cover was again very plain with a clear blue colour scheme tying the name, news, and sub headings together.
- Highlights
I really liked the way the image of the graphics card was ever so slightly overlaid on top of the magazine title. The only thing I wasn't really keen on here was the drop shadow used for the graphics card - which seemed slightly unnecessary.
As a start looking at the basics I'm actually quite glad I looked at such a clean layout as the overly busy covers and spreads I've seen dealing with other subject matter aren't the best to learn from.
-What I disliked
I already know just from this brief look I don't want my magazine to be composed of as much text as I want my art work to be the main focal point of the cover.
If I create a portfolio themed magazine also, it will give me more freedom to create something with a little flair - a lot of these tech magazines are almost indistinguishable from one another.

No comments:
Post a Comment