To begin I scanned the A3 drawing in; this had to be done in two parts then both sides stitched together in Photoshop.
My first port of call after making a few layer copies was to cut the background away (below) - miles better!
After this I started cutting out various areas such as the hair, glasses and hat with the lasso tool and putting them on their own separate layers. This took ages but once they were all separated I could begin to experiment.
My first aim was the hair. I tried all sorts of things (burn and dodge tool, various filters etc...) to fill the paper areas that I hadn't inked, but with zero success. I eventually found out the quick selection tool was my best bet here but there were so many patterns to fill I basically gave up.
I jumped from the hair (where I was getting no luck) to the hat and used the quick selection tool to change and fill the basic hat pattern. Pleased with this I was content with it being a lock - I like the colour, it looks cool close up, job done for the hat.
I was constantly messing around with the glasses on and off - I was never happy with them. Here I think I used the dry brush tool which looked terrible. I then took a step back and used the quick selection tool to fill the glasses in solid colour, and started (bottom left) to do the same for the patterned coat.
Back to the hair again (yes, there was absolutely no symmetry to this process!) and I've used the dry brush tool for the hair. Now, I never went back to this again but kind of kept it on the back burner as like 'a last resort' if I buggered the hair up.
Also notice I have started to make the lines constructing the nose and chin more prominent as they were kind of weak in the initial scan.
This is as good as I could get the glasses.; quick selection was used to fill the colours and I used the expand tool to make the yellow cover the odd bit of black and give the glasses a more rounded look.
I added a massive drop shadow (well, it was a cheap way by filling the silhouette of Kat in black) and increased the size so it was a bit pop arty.
The minor tweaks
+ increased the lip size
+ increased thickness of black lines
+removed the checkered shirt;






No comments:
Post a Comment